Week 8: 2002–2016
Social Media: Friends, Feeds, and the Hidden Work of Content Moderation
Readings for Class
Reading: Patricia Lockwood, “The Winged Thing,” Jennifer Egan, “Black Box”
All course readings are available via library e-reserve on Canvas.
Sample annotated bibliography of Friendster as example for final project.
• Sarah T. Roberts, “Social Media’s Silent Filter,” The Atlantic, March 8, 2017.
• Isaac Chotiner, “The Underworld of Online Content Moderation,” The New Yorker, July 5, 2019.
• André Brock, “‘The Black Purposes of Space Travel’: Black Twitter as Black Technoculture,” in Distributed Blackness, Open Access at NYU Press.
Social Media Influencers
• Jaron Lanier. Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Right Now. Henry Holt and Co., 2018.
• André Brock Jr. Distributed Blackness: African American Cybercultures. NYU Press, 2020. (Open Access)
• Sarah T. Roberts. Behind the Screen: Content Moderation in the Shadows of Social Media. Yale University Press, 2019.
• Limor Shifman. Memes in Digital Culture. MIT Press, 2014.